Monday, July 6, 2009

Dear Amaya...





To my dear, sweet girl. You turned five last Friday. Daddy and I both agreed it was one of the most fun days we've had as a family. I have spent lots of time reflecting on the last five years with you. I feel blessed to call you my daughter.



Swimming with Ellie on her birthday

Tubing with mom last Friday

In a way, five years has gone fast. But then I think about the day we found out I was pregnant, and it seems like a lifetime ago. We had only been married about 6 weeks when I took the first of four pregnancy tests. Daddy just couldn't believe that the first three were, in fact, accurate. We were elated! You have been a joy ever since.

I remember when you were two years old, and thinking, "I can 'do' two years old, but I would have no idea how to 'do' a five year old." And here you are... five already. You continue to challenge me, and motivate me to be a better mom.

You have a myriad of interests. Number one is horses. You just finished a horse camp this week. Most people have a hard time believing that you barrel raced on your own. Dad and I pulled you out of horse lessons to test you (and to save some money for awhile)... to make sure your interest would last. If anything it has grown.



You love to swim. You can swim the width of a 25 yard pool independently. You have claimed Bella, our chocalate lab as your own. You love thin pancakes, ebelskiever, cherries, sausage, and ice cream.

I love how you still get excited over little things... a new bloom on your marigold plant, a tattoo on your hand, a sticker at Fred Meyers, a popscicle before bed, giving Bella a treat, a snap pea straight from the garden.

I also love how sensitive and thoughtful you are towards other people. From a very young age, you have shown an uncanny ability to be empathetic and merciful. Family and friends frequently comment on these unique qualities that God has gifted you with. You often pray for people immediately upon hearing a need. You still want to pray for every ambulance that goes by, a habit we started when you were just two years old.

You have had to be strong beyond your age the last couple of years, and you have graciously risen to the task. All without a complaint. I never would have foretold that my five year old could be a strength in my time of weakness.

You are, without a doubt, the BEST big sister in the world. The moments that you share with Tennyson are priceless. She adores you, and wants nothing else during the day except to follow you around. If you aren't close by, she wanders around like a lost puppy saying, "Where's my sissy?" You are the one that Tennyson wants first thing in the morning, or when she gets hurt. I love that!


Your affection for spiritual things is also beyond your years. At three years old, your favorite thing to watch was the GOSPEL of JOHN. You had Jesus' miracles memorized in order.

In the last few months, you have begun to ask some deeper questions, and we have wrestled with how difficult it is to fight our sinful nature. You voice your frustration in this, and many times, there is nothing to do but pray. We do a lot of praying. You process things by talking (like your dad), so we also do a lot of talking. I treasure these times.

I love you more than words can say. I could go on and on about how great you are. Most of all, I want to thank God for giving you to us. That He chose for us to be your caretakers on earth is a privilege. I humbly accept the task of directing your precious heart to Him. I love you, Amaya.

1 comment:

Linda Finicle said...

What a beautiful letter to a sweet daughter! She truely is a blessing to your and John......and all of us who know her.