Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Opposite Confusion

The girls are home sick today. Well, they were yesterday too, but we're usually home on Mondays so it didn't seem like such an interruption in our schedule. I had Amaya lay down, along with Tennyson. I just bought a new vaporizer for her room, and it was spewing water out the top, and making an awful, rhythmic, gurgling sound.

I asked Amaya if the sound would bother her. She said, "No, I'm a dark sleeper."

"What did you say?" I asked.

"I'm a dark sleeper. Tennyson's the light sleeper. The sound won't bother me."

"Oh... you mean a heavy sleeper," I responded.

She has heard us say over and over how 'light' of a sleeper Tennyson is. She automatically assumed that if Tennyson was a light sleeper, she was a dark sleeper. Nope... it's the other opposite of light... heavy.

It's in moments like these that I remember she isn't quite so grown-up yet. She seems to be on most occasions: she's reading now, doing double-digit addition, memorizing chapters of the Bible, and can carry on a very appropriate conversation with just about anyone, no matter their age.

I like that God still provides us moms with so many moments to teach! I suppose that these moments don't become less frequent as our children get older, but rather just change in their content.

2 comments:

Pate Family said...

Oh that is SO CUTE! So on another note, after this Sunday I'm sure your family is going to be rushing right over to sit behind our family all the time at church! Thank goodness I didn't leave Reagan in the nursery- I would have been horrified if it had happened to someone else. Actually, maybe that would have been better.. : ) (evil grin).

Mars said...

Hey, Pate, watch it! Took me a moment to catch on to what you were talking about...but I do believe it was me and Christine in the nursery on Sunday, you stinker! ;) Just say no to poop explosions!

Steph - that is so cute about Amaya. I love, love, love when kids make those cute little mistakes. (Charlie asks me to get something "unside out" when he wants me to fix something that's inside out, but I don't correct him...yet!)